CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Wednesday, September 27, 2006

The Battle Between Princess Grumpy and Princess Happy (hint: Princess Happy wins!)


I like to try the art of distraction for as long as it will work. That’s my motto, “Distract them well and distract them often!” Sometimes, however, distraction just doesn’t work. My children can often be distracted into obedience. Somehow I’m able to distract them into thinking that whatever I’m asking them to do is their idea or a game or some such. As they are getting older and more often than not these days though, it doesn’t work.

When my 3-year-old decides that she will not be obedient no matter what I say, I have no choice but to take action. This morning after one long continuous tantrum of which I was not able to bring her out of with my usual routine, I told her to go to her room. Princess Grumpy’s eyes widened and she threw her head back and screamed, “I don’t want to go to my room!” So, of course, I opened her door and helped her start walking toward it. She promptly sat down on her bed and with red-rimmed eyes she turned to me and said, “I calmed down now.” How convenient!

Not giving into the manipulation of a 3-year-old, I sat down across from her and explained to her that she would need to sit on her bed and decide if she wanted to be obedient to mommy and be in a better mood. She also had the choice of being disobedient and grumpy, in that case I explained, she could just sit in her room by herself. I told her that when and if she decided to be in a better mood and be obedient that I would love to have her come upstairs and join her brother and me.

Well, she was down there for about 25 minutes crying off and on when I heard these footsteps in the hallway. She came over to me smiling and said, “I’m in a better mood now!”

“I’m so glad!” as I gave her a hug and watched her dance off down the hallway and around the corner to the living room.

The next thing I asked her to do was to help me pick up some toys, she jumped at the chance to “help” Mommy! Amazing what a little reflective time alone can do – even for a 3-year-old. My Princess Happy has returned!

1 comments:

Anonymous said...

Nice Lori, good job in my opinion! Yes, I finally got to your blog! Uncle John B.